The construction of St John of Tarouca began in the year of 1154. It was the first Cistercian male monastery built in Portuguese territory. Monasteries were always built by rivers so they could be self sufficient. In 1834 there was an extinction decree of religious orders, meaning no more monasteries. The church was converted into … Continue reading St John of Tarouca and the fortified Ucanha Bridge and the Little Dog that could!