In less than 2 weeks Muriel and I will be heading to Europe. To be more specific Portugal and Spain. Paula will be home recuperating from a knee replacement.
As most of our readers know that I have many chronic illness’. So travel takes a bit more effort and forward planning. I just can not take off at a moments notice. I also would struggle to have just carry on. My medications alone nearly fill the backpack!
I will share with you what works for me, so I can travel.
- Get insurance. A lot of my conditions are already covered under the main insurance umbrella, however I list every single one. It pays to be sure! It will cost a bit more though so be prepared. I think if you can not afford insurance then you can’t afford to travel.
- Check with your doctors and specialists that they think your well enough to travel.
- Medication! Have enough medications for the time your away and a little bit more in case of delays.
- Prescriptions – If you can have your prescriptions with you.
- A letter from your doctor stating what medications your on and all your chronic illness’.
- Pack your medications, letter and prescriptions in a clear ziplock bag.
- Pack the zip lock bag in your carry on luggage. Never ever pack your medications in the bag that goes into the hold of the plane.
- Photocopy your letter etc and store copies with your passport and travel documents. (including certificate of travel insurance)
- Leave at home copies of itinerary, passport, certificate of travel insurance with a friend or loved one.
The most important tip –
** I will be posting photos on our Instagram Account while away. I may do a blog post while away but more than likely we will be too busy dancing the flamenco!”