This is a post on a few hints and tips when traveling on a river cruise We 3 had traveled before, on various trips overseas however not together since we were kids. I had been down to Melbourne Australia and spent a few days with Muriel my eldest sister and her daughter and grand-daughter. Paula and I had spent a few days together in Sydney when her hubby couldn’t make the trip.
What do we take? We had our clothes sorted. We had not been on a cruise before, we had no idea what was in store for us.
- Unless you have a major allergy do not bother taking shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Your room is serviced twice a day. Once in the morning, while your off having breakfast, then again when you’re having dinner.
- Take your own toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Purchase a microfiber towel. They pack neatly in a very small bag. This is very useful for taking a lot of the moisture out of your washing.
- Get some Febreeze and use that when you’re not able to wash your outer clothes.
- Take some soap or use body wash to wash your clothes.
- You can use the laundry service on the ship but it is a bit expensive.
- Our room had a “lip” all round the bedroom. Not sure that’s how to describe it but thats my interpretation of it . We would put our clothes on the hanger then hung them from the lip. Perfect drying conditions.
- Take one moisturizer that can be used for both face and body. Make room for those extra items you want to spend your $$ on.
- Take a converter for your electrical items. I have one that has a slot for my iPhone and points for my camera battery.
- Lots of zip lock bags. These are great for your shoes in the suitcase. Also great for washing that is still damp when your moving onto another town or cruise.
- Most bathrooms have a pull out clothes line. Great for your underwear.
- Use the safe. Keep your passport and travel documents safe!
- If you have a food allergy let your Cruise Director know and the wait staff. I have a couple of food allergies and I was catered for at all meals. The food was 5 star restaurant food.
- Makeup – eyeliner, lipliner, lipstick, and I use a powder. Perfume, take a bottle thats nearly empty. Paula did that. However, even though I used it as well, its still going strong. The magical perfume bottle, keeps giving you sweet sweet smell.
I have just finished watching a new show here in Australia “Travel Guides”. This time they all went on a cruise to the Islands off Australia. Cruising on an ocean liner is so different to that of a river cruise. On an ocean liner, well the one on the show had over 1,500 people on board. On a river cruise probably no more than 150.
A cruise is not everyone’s cup of tea. A lot of people love to just go with the flow, pack a back pack and off they go. I did that when I went to the USA a few years ago. I should share some of that holiday. 4 weeks, Utah, Seattle, and back to Utah then to the Grand Canyon Las Vegas and then San Diego and then home.I was lucky for 3 of the 4 weeks I stayed with friends.
We throughly enjoyed the cruise and will be doing another one later this year.